Position Description: Business and Data Analyst
Domain Name Commission Ltd is a company wholly-owned by InternetNZ, Internet New Zealand Incorporated.
InternetNZ is an incorporated society established to foster coordinated and cooperative development of the Internet in New Zealand. The Society works to safeguard the Internet’s philosophy of open and uncensored exchange of information. InternetNZ is responsible for the management of New Zealand (.nz) domain namespace. They have delegated responsibility for the oversight of their .nz delegation to Domain Name Commission Ltd (DNCL).
Domain Name Commissioner, DNCL Board, Program Manager, Complaints and Compliance Manager, Council, Group Chief Executive, Organisational Services Director, Technology Services Director, Commercial Director, Outreach and Engagement Director, other Organisational Services team members, and the rest of the DNCL and InternetNZ team
Third-party suppliers, InternetNZ members, Registrants, and potential registrants, Registrars.
You will also be working closely alongside InternetNz’s .nz Operations and Tech Research teams, Chief Security Officer, third party passive dns providers, international colleagues, and our trusted partners CERTNZ and the Digital Safety Office at the Department of Internal Affairs.
- solving day to day operational problems by reference to data
- using a range of regression, classification and machine learning techniques so we can automate and scale our data practices given the small size of our office
- developing and analysing metrics and indexes for domain name market performance
- the ability to translate business requirements into a technical analytic plan
- ensuring DNCL has the correct database queries, tools and reports to support its functions
- ability to anticipate and address competing explanations and deal with ambiguity
- able to read/write data to/from any format and location. This includes database queries, merging disparate file types, APIs, and file management.
- able to work across multiple data requirements in current work, for example, marketplace health Indicators, Competition data sets, Consumer data sets and threat feeds.
- statistical interpretation, analysis, and reporting of metrics for the Commission’s performance as an independent regulator
- able to explore data appropriately. This includes distributions, summary metrics, visualization, and feature selection/engineering and data matching and filtering in decision-making
- ability to clearly document findings
Communication and Data Visualisation
- presentation of data externally to strengthen the way we communicate data on our website, in fact, sheets and reports and through social media
- Ability to write pre-technical requirements and understand wider domain name industry context
- able to package technical work for diverse audiences
Build or apply appropriate algorithms
- charting of appropriate data
- design and manage our existing domain name abuse prevention algorithms such as anti-phishing, malware and fake webshop detection.
- research and analyse passive domain name system technology and develop proposals for online safety algorithms
- produce accurate data extraction and reporting of information from DNCL’s databases and the .nz register to ensure accurate analysis and reporting integrity
- produce, maintain and manage internal and external dashboards for weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual statistics.
Key results / Outputs and deliverables:
- meet and exceed customer expectations.
- work effectively with your colleagues and other stakeholders to ensure that we deliver exceptional service.
- support all of our stakeholders with their enquiries, providing solution focused support.
- commitment to meeting individual, company and group objectives/targets.
- demonstrate a belief in our values through a positive attitude and actions.
- relevant data coursework or personal projects concerning data science, analytics, database design or statistics.
- experience working with large data sets and turning them into insight.
- previous experience working as part of a team.
- Tableau, Power BI, or other BI software solution
- Interest in or ability to learn Passive DNS techniques
- Exposure to JIRA, Kanban, TFS, or other Agile Project Management software
- Exposure to GitHub, Bit Bucket, or other code repository solution We are looking for someone with coding experience in Python. Exposure to SQL and code version control is desirable but is not essential whilst Linux and/or Unix skills would be useful.
- Exposure to API connections and working knowledge on how to send and receive data
- Statistical language skillset desirable
- adaptable and dependable as well as a quick learner with sound analytical abilities and keen to learn technical skills
Computer Science or related field.
Experience solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches
Experience in programming.