Question 1. Should the New Zealand domain name space be extended to allow registration at the second level, for example yourname.nz?
There have been many good arguments made about how there are little benefits for this change, and many reasons why it is not beneficial. This does NOT give New Zealanders more choice of domains, as all the existing .co.nz domains will register the equivalent .nz domain. As the years go on, we WILL want more and more choice of domains, and controlling a few select second level domains would allow this. Giving everyone access to the second level will not. The main reasons a few people have said that they do want this is: To have a nicer looking domain To keep up with a few other countries in the world. I don't see these as good enough reasons, when compared to the large list of well reasoned reasons why it is not beneficial. Please consider the needs of the NZ public and the NZ economy.
Question 2. Are there any other undertakings that the Domain Name Commission should make while developing/implementing the policy?
Question 3. Should new second level domains be created to cater for particular interest groups, such as .wine.nz or .sport.nz?
Question 4. Should new moderated second level domains be created to cater for domain names that require special protection, such as .bank.nz?
Question 5. Should the registration of some names such as .com.nz or .gov.nz, be prohibited at the second level to minimise potential confusion? What names, if any, should be prohibited?
Though how do you manage this? There are many words in the English language that could be used for phishing attacks. E.g. bnz.money.nz
Question 6. Do you agree with the rationale for the Sunrise Period that would enable existing .nz domain name holders first chance to register names at the second level? Why?
Question 7. Who should be allowed to register a domain name at the second level when there are competing registrations at the third level?
Question 8. Assuming only persons with a conflicting third level domain name may apply, how should that conflict be resolved? By consent? Or some other mechanism?
It is very difficult. For example, one of the most visited websites in New Zealand, stuff.co.nz, will need to somehow pay to get the privilege for a stuff.nz domain, as there is owners of stuff.net.nz and stuff.geek.nz etc. I see it as unfair that existing domain holders would be held to ransom by other domain owners, just to protect their brand and identity. Obviously a .nz would become 'cooler' to the public than a .co.nz domain, so Stuff would need to do what's required to get the stuff.nz domain to just stay equal with nzherald.nz for example.
Question 9. Should the Domain Name Commission consider extending its Dispute Resolution Service for a limited period to cover particular sub-domains when considering whether a name registered at the second level infringes a complainant’s rights?
Question 10. Is the approach as outlined in the proposed amended policy in Appendix C appropriate? Why?
Question 11. Are there any other comments you would like to make relating to this consultation?
If you were going to make this change, I'd do it similar to the new registrations at the top level domains occurring at the moment. Charge $10k (or similar) per year for the second level .nz domains, and put this money into a technology innovation and education fund. This would prevent multitudes of registrations at the second level, keeping it not cluttered but organised, while allowing the big brands and organisations that would really require it, while helping the computer industry in New Zealand.