From:           Dean Stewart, WebSafety NZ
Received:    Thursday, 13 June 2013

Question 1. If you consider registering a .nz domain name in the future, would you like anyname.nz to be an option rather than a name under just the second levels, e.g. anyname.co.nz?

No
I'm happy with www.websafety.co.nz and have no intention of purchasing any similar domain name going forward.

Question 2. Would likely short term confusion over a transition period be an acceptable consequence for offering a long term option of allowing .nz registrations at the second level?

No
No. There would be confusion and I don't believe the proposed shortened version is necessary. For one, businesses may feel obliged to purchase a second domain name just to secure the name. Secondly, I believe that there should be rules in place whereby a name is reserved. That is to say, if there exists a domain such as www.ford.co.nz, then no one except the owner of this domain could purchase www.ford.nz. Failure for this would result in potential company name conflict and confusion.

Question 3. Do you agree that existing .nz registrants should get a priority right in obtaining their name at the second level if this proposal proceeds?

Yes
They should not only get priority, it should be reserved. If the existing .nz owner does not wish to purchase the new format domain name, it should then be permanently reserved and preserved from purchase by anyone else.

Question 4. Do you agree with the approach in the draft amended policies if we proceed with this? What, if anything, would you change?

No

Question 5. Do you support the proposal that a current registrant of a .nz name at the third level should be able to reserve that name at the second level for no cost if they wish to block others from registering it but not actually utilise it themselves?

Yes

Question 6. Is two years an appropriate time to wait before reviewing policy to allow a reservation at no cost? Should this time frame be longer?

No
It should be at least 5 years.

Question 7. Is two years an appropriate time to wait before reviewing the policy to extend the Dispute Resolution Service to sub-domains of second level registrations? Should this time frame be longer?

Yes

Question 8. Do you see any benefits from allowing registrations at the second level which have not been covered in this paper?

No

Question 9. Do you see any detrimental effects from allowing registrations at the second level which have not been covered in this paper?

No