From:           Alex Monaghan, Monaghan Consultants Ltd
Received:    Friday, 31 May 2013

Question 1. If you consider registering a .nz domain name in the future, would you like anyname.nz to be an option rather than a name under just the second levels, e.g. anyname.co.nz?

No
Having concurrent 3rd level and 2nd level is a confusing situation for the average Internet user, many seem to have enough trouble determining the difference between TLD's let alone potentially having anyname.nz, anyname.co.nz and anyname.com all with different competing businesses on these domains.

Question 2. Would likely short term confusion over a transition period be an acceptable consequence for offering a long term option of allowing .nz registrations at the second level?

No
Is it really worth it to save a few characters in the URL? How many users actually type in a domain name these days, don't most people hit a search engine or pull from a favourites list?

Question 3. Do you agree that existing .nz registrants should get a priority right in obtaining their name at the second level if this proposal proceeds?

Yes
The original .nz registrants have invested in the .nz name space and their investment should be put above other potential registrants.

Question 4. Do you agree with the approach in the draft amended policies if we proceed with this? What, if anything, would you change?

No
There seems a lot of potential manual work for registrars to deal with the exceptions and blocks

Question 5. Do you support the proposal that a current registrant of a .nz name at the third level should be able to reserve that name at the second level for no cost if they wish to block others from registering it but not actually utilise it themselves?

No
If they have no intention of using the name they are likely to block in an attempt to gain financially from the approval

Question 6. Is two years an appropriate time to wait before reviewing policy to allow a reservation at no cost? Should this time frame be longer?

Yes
2 years is fine

Question 7. Is two years an appropriate time to wait before reviewing the policy to extend the Dispute Resolution Service to sub-domains of second level registrations? Should this time frame be longer?

Yes
2 years is fine

Question 8. Do you see any benefits from allowing registrations at the second level which have not been covered in this paper?

No
I see no benefit from this other than financial gain for registrars selling duplicated names

Question 9. Do you see any detrimental effects from allowing registrations at the second level which have not been covered in this paper?

Yes
I see it as pointless and restricting the available choice of names, I'd stick with the existing 2nd levels. At the moment if a name is taken in the desired 2nd level it may still be possible to register it in another 2nd level, the proposal as it stands will mean there can only be a single name in the .nz namespace and the registrant will either have to think of a new name or try a non nz TLD. With the introduction of so many new TLD's surely DNC would want to encourage as many .nz registrations as possible, chopping the existing 2nd level domains seems to defeat this as people are unlikely to want to register a .co.nz if the .nz has already been registered by another company. It is also likely that once the "free" period has expired, registrants of .nz will still feel obliged to register the .co.nz for brand protection. Will you be writing to every current .nz registrant to inform them of the changes?