In Attendance: Debbie Monahan (Domain Name Commissioner), Winnie Cummock
Hamish MacEwan (observer).
David Farrar, the Chair of DNCL Board welcomed new Director, Lucy Elwood for her first DNCL Board meeting.
1. Register of InterestsThe DNCL Register of Interests was updated. No conflicts were noted for this meeting.
2. Minutes of the last meetingThe minutes of the last DNCL Board meeting were passed as true and accurate, with a minor grammatical correction. There were no matters arising.
3. InternetNZ Update
Jamie Baddeley, President of InternetNZ, Joy Liddicoat, Vice-sPresident of InternetNZ and Jordan Carter, Chief Executive of InternetNZ, joined the Board and provided an update of InternetNZ recent activities and an overview regarding the recent INZ Group Strategy meeting.
Jamie Baddeley congratulated Joy Liddicoat on her appointment as a Vice President of InternetNZ. He acknowledged the Registry's and DNCL's current priorities and has shared InternetNZ's expectations to DNCL's goals and objectives for the next 12 to 24 months.
Jordan Carter also discussed some current projects for InternetNZ and the proposed events and dates in relation to InternetNZ's 20th Anniversary next year.
4. Registrations at the second level projectSteven Heath joined the Board and provided an update on the current status of the registration at the second level project and the significant activities that have happened on the project since the previous Board meeting. These included completing content of the anyname website and finalising advertisements and media strategy in relation to the launch of .nz second level registrations. The Board expressed their thanks for the work done on this project.
5. DNCL PolicyDisputes and Complaints Policy (DCP) and Investigations and Inquiries Policy (IIP)
No submissions were received for this consultation. The Board agreed that no changes be made to the DCP and IIP policies.
Dispute Resolution Service Policy (DRS)
One submission was received for this consultation. The submission was considered. There was a lengthy discussion over the submission and the issues around it. The Board decided that no changes would be made to the DRS Policy.
Managing resellers - proposed policy amendments
Two submissions were received for this consultation. During a wide-ranging discussion, the Board considered the submissions received, noting that they provided constructive and useful feedback. As per the DNC's recommendation, it was agreed that the topic of managing resellers will be discussed with registrars in November at the Registrars Conference and Registrar Advisory Group meeting, and a draft policy will be presented to the next Board meeting.
Thanks were given to the DNC and her team for the work done on handling the incident and the events around 24/7 Hosting for their breaches of .nz policy.
6. Internal Policies
Three internal policies were considered by the Board as part of their review of all internal policies. The Reporting Requirements policy was approved. Some amendments were proposed to the Professional Services and Retention of Company Records policies. These will be finalised and approved by email.
7. Review of DNC monthly report content
The Board had an extensive discussion in relation to the format, analysis and content of the DNC monthly report. Changes to the monthly report were agreed and more work will be done around the communications aspect of the report.
8. DNCL Reports
The reports for July and August were taken as read.
9. DNCL Work plan
The DNC spoke to the current work plan. There were no items on the work plan that needed further discussion.
10. NZRS Update
Jay Daley, Chief Executive of NZRS, joined the Board and provided an update on work being done by NZRS, in particular the current status of the Registrations at the Second Level project.
11. .nz Framework Review
A draft report of the .nz framework was provided but time constraints prevented a detailed discussion so this will be followed up post meeting. The DNC was thanked for her assistance and contributions in this matter.
12. Chair Update
There were no further items to discuss that had not already been addressed elsewhere on the agenda.
13. Any other business
Changes to the 2015 DNCL Board meeting times were discussed and agreed.
14. Dates Future Meetings
The next Board meeting will be held on Thursday, 4 December 2014.